Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Pincord

For the longest time now I have been looking for a blue pincord spring sportcoat. In case anyone out there is also looking, I have a few sources.

He's not a 56 Long.


In the event that you are a 56 long, Brooks Brothers appears to be your best bet, as this is the only size they seem to carry. I haven't done further research to see if this is some sort of a typographical glitch; my guess is that they have discontinued it and this is the only size remaining. Such a pity. Why on earth would you discontinue such a classic? I should thing BB could sell these by the thousands if they wanted to.

Elbow patches on a spring jacket? Really?


Another possibility is this one I have seen by Polo Ralph at Westport Big & Tall. The trouble is, you've got to be big or tall. Still, at $250, I almost pulled the trigger. Also I wasn't so wild about the elbow patches. Elbow patches, to my way of thinking, are generally an affectation -- they should only be added to heavy tweed, and then only when truly needed. I think the best ones are usually pigskin in a chamois or tobacco color.

Continuing my search, I may have seen something available at Joseph Banks, but for some reason or other I didn't like it. You can look around there if you want to. Finally I found just the thing, except it's a suit.

$450 at O'CONNELL's,


Closeup of O'Connell's pincord suit.


Item Last: I found this online while writing this article:

Who knew? $495 at J. PRESS.






4 comments:

  1. I can recall attending a semi important business meeting in early May, once upon a time, in my Easter new pin cord from BB. It snowed, I felt like an idiot, and never wore it again.

    Look around for a Haspel or Hardwick. The suit will be pretty good,for what it is and under $200

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good suit with some reasonable price.

    http://www.fitcustomshirts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you in a web search for Big & Tall shirts. I have never been satisfied with the fit of off-the-shelf products (too tight, sleeves too short, etc.). Your site seemed very thorough in capturing the fit information necessary to make these shirts truly fit - and therefore become "favorites" rather than hang in my closet with so many other shirts I own that don't fit....
    I refer all my family and friends to

    http://www.bestcustomshirt.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...